Posts for tag: cosmetic dentistry
Modern dentistry emphasizes this basic principle: save as much natural tooth structure as possible. Gone are the days of expedient extractions, for today's dentists understand how important each tooth is to appearance, oral function, smile alignment, and bone structure. Therefore, if you have a tooth compromised by decay, abscess, or injury, Dr. Gerald Ryan will likely recommend a dental crown. Placed in his Swartz Creek office, a crown protects remaining healthy enamel and re-creates a good-looking, well-functioning smile.
Details on dental crowns
Made of durable and lifelike ceramic, a dental crown is custom-crafted and individually colored to remake a tooth damaged by oral trauma (e.g. a deep vertical crack), infection, numerous fillings, or a weak or odd congenital shape (e.g. a peg-shaped lateral incisor). It covers a tooth from the gum line on up, and it fits in perfectly with neighboring teeth with lifelike size and shape.
Oral examination and X-rays help Dr. Ryan determine if a crown is necessary and if it would truly restore a tooth. If it would, rest assured that your crown treatment will be totally comfortable and precise. Dr. Ryan uses oral impressions and a carefully formulated care plan to tell the local dental lab how to make your crown.
Your tooth will be ground down to remove damaged enamel and fillings. It will be shaped and then covered with a temporary restoration which you'll wear until the permanent one is ready. When it is, the temporary is removed, and the new crown is cemented in place.
What else crowns do
Dr. Ryan also uses crowns to restore or finish installing dental implants and to support multi-tooth bridges. A tooth saved by root canal therapy also requires a crown.
Preserve your tooth
The American Association of Endodontists says that there is nothing like a real tooth for:
- Personal appearance
- Maintenance of dental alignment and tooth stability
As such, a dental crown from your Swartz Creek dentist is a great opportunity to keep your smile intact. With good at-home and in-office care, your restored tooth should function for years.
At Gerald Ryan DDS Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, our professional team helps people of all ages have healthy, beautiful smiles. Dental crowns are just one of many restorative services. To learn more about crowns and other ways we can help your smile, please call us for an appointment: (810) 635-8446.
Find out how this tooth-shaped restoration could help you.
Did you just recently undergo root canal treatment? Did you crack your tooth while playing sports? Did you bite down on something hard and break your tooth? If so, then chances are good that our Swartz Creek, MI, dentist, Dr. Gerald Ryan, can place a dental crown over the damaged tooth to protect and preserve it. Here’s how a dental crown works and who can benefit from the restoration.
The Basics on Dental Crowns
A dental crown is often made from tooth-colored material so that it looks just like a real tooth. A crown is shaped just like a real tooth but it’s hollow, making it possible for the crown to cover a tooth. In essence, a crown will become the new outer layer of the tooth, making the weak or damaged tooth strong and fully functional again.
As you might imagine, a weak or damaged tooth will continue to weaken over time if a crown isn’t placed over the tooth to protect it. There are many instances in which our Swartz Creek general dentist will recommend a dental crown, including:
- To preserve a damaged or weak tooth
- To protect a tooth after root canal therapy
- To improve the shape, size or appearance of a tooth
- To hold a dental bridge in place
- To cover a dental implant
Crowns are custom-made to fit over your tooth, so in order to get one, we will first need to treat the tooth and then prep it for the new crown. Tooth preparation requires us to remove an extensive amount of tooth enamel so that the crown can fit over the top of the tooth. This tooth preparation is performed under local anesthesia, so you won’t feel anything.
From there, we will take impressions of the tooth. These molds of your mouth will be sent to our dental lab, where they will be used to create a customized crown that will fit perfectly over the tooth. While your crown is being made (this can take up to one week) we will place a temporary crown over the tooth so that you can continue to chew or speak without trouble. Once the permanent crown is made, we will check the fit of the crown before cementing it in place.
Intrigued? Give Us a Call!
Are you interested in discussing whether your smile could benefit from getting dental crowns in Swartz Creek, MI? If so, call our family dental office today at (810) 635-8446 to schedule a consultation. We are here to give your smile the restorative dentistry it needs!
Smile problems? Porcelain veneers can give you the Hollywood smile you've always wanted with no shots, no drilling, and no pain! Veneers are ultra-thin, ceramic shells designed to cover the front of the teeth. Dr. Gerald Ryan is one of the top dentists in Swartz Creek, MI. He offers state-of-the-art porcelain veneers to his patients. Keep reading to discover the benefits of porcelain veneers.
1. Fix Dental Issues- Porcelain veneers can treat many cosmetic dental issues at the same time. These shells fit over your teeth changing their length, size, and shape. Porcelain veneers have become very popular due to their versatility. Porcelain veneers are used to fix gapped teeth, cracked teeth, weakened teeth, and crooked teeth.
2. Strengthen Teeth- Porcelain veneers can strengthen and protect teeth chipped or worn-down teeth. This is possible due to the durable porcelain material that composes veneers as they cover your teeth. Porcelain veneers provide strength comparable to tooth enamel. Veneers are very resistant to wear and fractures.
3. Whiten Your Smile- Porcelain veneers can give you a white smile instantly. These shells are bonded to the front of your teeth changing their color. Nothing is more beautiful than a dazzling, white smile. Now that's something to smile about. Coffee, soda, red wine, and tea do not stain veneers as they do natural teeth because unlike the enamel on your teeth, porcelain isn't porous.
4. Look Years Younger- A bad smile can make you look old before your time. With porcelain veneers, you will appear not only younger, but more attractive, wealthier, and smarter too. In terms of anti-aging, it's vitally important to spend a bit more making sure your teeth are in tip-top condition.
5. Boost Your Self-Esteem- Low self-esteem results from a poor self-image. If you have low self-esteem, you may avoid things you find challenging, stop trying new things, and hide yourself away from social situations. Porcelain veneers will enhance your appearance and help you feel good about yourself. Consult with a dentist in Swartz Creek to find out of porcelain veneers are right for you.
Want a better life? Start with your smile. Call our dental office at 810-635-8446 right now to schedule a dental consultation in Swartz Creek, MI. Whether looking for a job or searching for new love, a Hollywood smile is now a real investment on many levels.
Teeth whitening has proven to help restore the smile of patients with dull, discolored or stained teeth. The darker tissue of the teeth, known as the dentin, can become exposed as the enamel wears away. This leads to dental staining. At Gerald R. Ryan DDS Family & Cosmetic Dentistry in Swartz Creek, MI, we can examine each patient’s teeth and offer the best professional teeth whitening procedure for their oral health situation.
More About Teeth Whitening
Teeth whitening in Swartz Creek helps to reverse the effects of aging or abuse from certain foods or beverages. Unfortunately, with fluorosis, which begins inside the tooth, brushing and flossing don't help. While whitening toothpastes may be effective in some way, they are very abrasive which can lead to wearing away the tooth’s enamel even more.
Professional whitening in our office is the safest and most effective way to whiten the teeth. When done properly by one of our professional staff members, it can last as long as five years. This procedure is not suitable for those with hypersensitivity in their teeth or gums, teeth that are transparent with age or those with deep staining. Bonding, crowns or veneers may better suit these patients.
Before teeth whitening begins, the teeth are cleaned thoroughly to be clear of any debris or plaque. A dental exam is also performed to look for severe tooth decay, gum disease or cracks in the teeth. Photos may be taken of the teeth to assess progress. A hardening resin is painted onto the gums to protect against any irritation. A bleaching gel containing hydrogen peroxide is applied to the teeth and left on for a period of 15 to 30 minutes. The gel is then washed off. Some whitening treatments use a curing light to enhance the bleaching process.
If you’re interested in hearing more about teeth whitening in Swartz Creek, MI, call to schedule an appointment at 810-635-8446 today.