Posts for tag: Gum Disease
What your dentist in Swartz Creek wants you to know
Are your gums red, puffy and swollen? If so, you could be experiencing the early stages of gum disease. Gum disease is a common problem, but fortunately it can be reversed by better oral hygiene and professional dental care. Dr. Gerald Ryan in Swartz Creek, MI, wants to share why you shouldn’t ignore the signs of gum disease.
Gum disease is an infection and inflammation of your oral soft tissue, your gums. If left untreated, the infection and disease can spread to the bone underneath your gums, called the periodontium. This bone supports and holds your teeth in place. Once the infection spreads to the periodontium, you now have periodontal disease, which can lead to bone and tooth loss.
That’s why you shouldn’t ignore the signs of gum disease. The first sign you may notice is a small amount of bleeding when you brush your teeth. Other signs and symptoms of gum disease include:
- Swollen, puffy gum tissue
- Red, irritated gum tissue
- Pain when you brush, floss, or eat
- Chronic bad breath or a sour taste in your mouth
If you think you may have gum disease, it’s important to start a strict, thorough oral hygiene regimen to clear up the infection and disease. You do this by removing bacterial plaque as frequently and thoroughly as you can. Remember to:
- Brush after meals and before bed, using a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Use a gentle circular motion to clean tooth surfaces and along the gumline.
- Floss every day with waxed or unwaxed floss or floss tools. Flossing cleans in between teeth where disease and decay often starts.
Visit Dr. Ryan at least once each year for a thorough dental exam and x-rays to carefully monitor the health of your mouth. You should also visit the dental hygienist at least once every six months for a professional teeth cleaning.
Don’t be tempted to ignore the signs of gum disease because you can lose your smile! Your dentist would like to partner with you in the care of your smile, so pick up the phone and call Dr. Ryan in Swartz Creek, MI. Call today and protect your smile!