Posts for tag: Dental emergency
Prompt treatment is essential during any emergency. Unfortunately, it's not always easy to tell if a dental problem can wait or must be treated immediately. Fortunately, here at Gerald R. Ryan Family & Cosmetic Dentistry in Swartz Creek, MI, your emergency dentist, Dr. Gerald Ryan, offers treatments for a variety of dental emergencies and can help you determine if you need emergency care.
When to call your Swartz Creek emergency dentist
Contact your dentist immediately if you experience any of these issues:
- Knocked-Out Tooth: Did you lose a tooth after a fall, accident, or blow to the mouth? It may be possible to re-implant the tooth if you act quickly. After you find the tooth, rinse it with water, then place it back in its socket. If it won't fit, hold it between your teeth and gums, or place it in a container covered with your saliva or milk. Re-implantation is most likely to be successful if you visit the dentist within an hour after your accident.
- Loose Tooth: Accidents, blows, or falls may also loosen teeth. Emergency treatment can stabilize teeth and help them become firmly attached again. If your loose tooth has moved out of position, try to gently return it to its normal position. Don't force it if it won't move easily.
- Broken Tooth: Broken teeth can be very painful and affect your ability to chew, speak, or even breathe without pain. To fix the issue, your dentist can add a crown to the tooth to restore its function and appearance. If the break extends into the root, the tooth may need to be extracted, however
- Lacerations: Your emergency dentist also treats lacerations to your mouth and face. While you travel to the office, apply pressure with a clean cloth to keep bleeding under control.
Need care? Give us a call
If you're concerned about the state of your smile, call your Swartz Creek, MI, emergency dentist, Dr. Gerald Ryan today at (810) 635-8446 to schedule an emergency appointment or checkup.
Find out what constitutes a dental emergency and what you should do.
Are you wondering what you would do if a dental emergency happened to you? If you don’t then it’s time you found out. Knowing how to stay calm and what to do can save you a lot of heartache, pain and expense in the end. Our Swartz Creek, MI, emergency dentist Dr. Gerald Ryan is here to tell you when you should come in for care.
What is a dental emergency?
Not sure if the problems you are facing require immediate medical care or not? You’ll want to visit our Swartz Creek dentist right away if you are dealing with any of these issues:
- A toothache
- Cracked or broken tooth
- Knocked-out tooth
- Loose tooth
- Broken or damaged dental restoration (e.g. filling; crown)
Also, if you are experiencing severe pain, bleeding, facial swelling or a lump anywhere in your mouth these are all issues that need to be addressed as soon as possible. When you give us a call, be sure to tell us exactly what’s going on so we can get you in as soon as possible.
If you are noticing pain or sensitivity when eating or drinking anything hot or cold this could also be a sign of decay or an infection. If this is the case, you will need to seek treatment to handle the problem. In some cases, root canal therapy will be needed to address the issue and get rid of your sensitivity.
If pain occurs when biting or chewing then you could be dealing with a dental infection. Anytime you experience dental pain this is a cause for concern and will need to be taken care of ASAP. While no one loves having to see their dentist unexpectedly, if you value your oral health and want to maintain a healthy smile for life then it’s a good idea to come in right away for the care you need.
If you need to get emergency dentistry in Swart Creek, MI, then it’s time you turned to Dr. Ryan for the expert care you need when something happens to your smile. Don’t let a dental emergency stress you out. Call us now!